Teaching & Learning Areas » The Arts
In The Arts learning area students develop creative skills, critical appreciation and knowledge of artistic techniques and technologies in dance, drama, media, music, visual arts and combinations of arts forms. The Arts develop students’ sense of personal and cultural identity and equips them for lifelong involvement in, and appreciation of the arts.
Why Arts Subjects Enhance the Learning Experience
The Arts provide young people with authentic learning experiences that engage their minds, hearts, and bodies. The learning experiences are real and meaningful for them. While learning in other disciplines may often focus on development of a single skill or talent, the Arts regularly engage multiple skills and abilities. Engagement in the Arts—whether the Visual Arts, Dance, Music, Theatre or other disciplines—nurtures the development of cognitive, social, and personal competencies.
The facilities at the Melville SHS Arts Centre are state-of-the-art and having Graphic Design Media as a Specialist Program allows all students at the school to benefit. Computers, a 3D printer, camera and video equipment are just some of the technologies available.
The Carly Smith Studio is a great space for dance and performances and is used on a daily basis.
Awards and Highlights
Melville SHS is a regular arts award winner. For example here are some typical highlights:
- “Perspectives” exhibition at AGWA - Three winners in two years
- Southern Perspectives exhibitors
- Shaun Tan Art award - regulatr place getters
- Royal Show Exhibition National Photographic Exhibition
- Young Originals Exhibition
- The Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Award Winners
- City of Melville Sculpture Walk winners
- Perth Black Swan had two students selected to exhibit
- St George Art Awards commendations
- Canning Art Awards
- Atwell Art Awards – Winners
- Doodle for Google competition -winners
- Melville Art Awards - winners
- Metamorphosis exhibition.
- City of Melville National Youth Week Photographic Exhibitions
- Music Tour to Melbourne and New Zealand
- Swing Band performances
- Music Brunch
- Variety Show - 84 students involved
- Twilight Concert
- Entered four bands in IMSS Festivals
- South of the River Dance Festival